Application deadline: March 31, 2021, for academic year 2021-2022.
CSREA invites artists, media makers, and writers whose work focuses on race, ethnicity, and/or indigeneity in the United States to apply to be a Practitioner Fellow for the Spring 2022 academic semester.
This program is a virtual Spring semester fellowship. The terms of the program may be subject to change.
Fellows will have access to Brown University resources and are invited to contribute to the academic community. There will be opportunities to present work-in-progress in a campus-wide public lecture or performance. Projects should focus at least in part on issues of race, ethnicity, and/or indigeneity in the United States, or U.S.-related transnational contexts. Fellows are expected to cover their own expenses (including health benefits) for the duration of their appointment.
- Awardees receive a $10,000 stipend for a semester-long fellowship and have access to up to $1,500 each in research/project funds
- Required attendance at virtual Practitioner Fellows Workshop (5-7 sessions during the Spring 2022 semester, depending on size of cohort)
In-person on campus Capstone Week workshop where participants will present work (travel and lodging provided)
- For artists, media makers, and writers
- Previous CSREA Practitioner Fellows are not eligible
- Previous Artists-in-Residence/Practitioner Fellows at our partner institutions are not eligible:
Applicants must complete this application form and submit the following supplementary documents to be fully considered:
- A cover letter discussing what the applicant hopes to achieve during the fellowship period and why being affiliated with CSREA and Brown would be especially helpful in accomplishing the goals
- A current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or résumé
- A sample of scholarly or creative work (maximum 35 pages)
- A one-page project abstract
A more detailed project proposal (1,000 - 2,000 words):
- The proposal should outline the project that the applicant will pursue during the term of the fellowship
- Two letters of recommendation endorsing the applicant and proposed project
Applications for Spring 2022 term is due on Wednesday March 31, 2021. Awardees will be notified in May 2021. The first convening of the selected cohort of Fellows will be in January 2022.
Questions? Please contact CSREA Associate Director, Saraya McPherson.