Urban Sociology, Housing and Social Policies, Comparative Stratification, Social Exclusion and Poverty
Professor Silver (Ph.D. in Sociology, Columbia University) studies social exclusion and policies to promote social inclusion in Providence, the US, and abroad. Her forthcoming book, Social Exclusion, will be published by Polity Press. Recent papers address local participation, social capital, and affordable housing. She is editing a collection of essays, Comparing Cities, for Routledge. Her documentary film, “Southside: The Fall and Rise of an Inner-City Neighborhood,” aired on Rhode Island PBS.
Professor Silver is also Director of the Urban Studies Program and Professor of Public Policy at Brown. She currently serves as Editor of City & Community, the journal of the Community and Urban Sociology Section of the American Sociological Association.
Professor Silver has held visiting appointments at Nuffield College at the University of Oxford, Korea University, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin, Université de Lille, University of Sussex, New York University, and Columbia University. She has received three Fulbright fellowships (to France and Germany), fellowships from the Institute for Advanced Study (Princeton), Hanse Wissenschaftskolleg in Bremen, Germany, the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique, INSEE, and INED in Paris, and School of Policy Studies, University of Bristol, UK. She has received grants from the National Science Foundation, Ford Foundation, Institute for Research on Poverty, the DAAD, and the National Endowment for the Humanities/Rhode Island Council for the Humanities. She has been a consultant for the International Labour Organization, World Bank, IADB, UNDP, Brookings Institution, US Office of Personnel Management, and other agencies.
Related Websites :
2013 - The Return of Urban Fiscal Crisis: Alternatives to Bankruptcy
2005 - Social Integration in the New Berlin: A DAAD-Wayland Collegium Conference
2004 - New Immigrants in Urban New England: A Workshop
2003 - New Immigrants in Urban New England: A Workshop
2003 - Social Exclusion, Inequality, and Health: An International Workshop
- "Fighting Housing Discrimination in Europe" Housing Policy Debate
- "Sociology: Moral dialogues and normative change." The Social Science Journal. 55, 1 (March 2018) website
- "Can Cities End Homelessness on their Own?" The Boston Review. (February 16, 2018) website
- “Youth Exclusion in the Middle East.” The Muslim World 107, 1 (2017): 13-40.
- “National Urban Policy in the Age of Obama.” Pp. 11-44 in James DeFilippis, ed. Urban Policy in the Time of Obama. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2016.
- "Trends in Neighborhood Stratification." City & Community 11, 4: 341-44
- "Cooperative Housing." Pages 101-107 in Andrew T. Carswell (Ed.) Encyclopedia of Housing, 2nd edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- “Divided Cities of the Middle East.” City & Community 9, 4 (2010): 345-57.
- "Obama's Urban Policy: A Symposium." City and Community 9, 1: 3-12.
- “Participation in Urban Contention and Deliberation” (with Alan Scott and Yuri Kazepov). International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 34, 3 (September): 1-25.
- “Social Inclusion Policies: Lessons for Australia.” Australian Journal of Social Issues 45, 2 (Winter): 183-211.
- “Reflections on Alfred Adler: A Social Exclusion Perspective.” Journal of Individual Psychology
- “Social Exclusion and Social Capital.” (with Mary Daly) Theory & Society 37, 6 (December): 537-566.
- "Social Exclusion: Comparative Analysis of Europe and Middle East Youth.” Wolfensohn Center for Development at the Brookings Institution and Dubai School of Government Middle East Youth Initiative Working Paper #1 (September).
- "Shutting Shelter Put Homeless at Risk." Providence Journal (23 March).
- "Social Integration in the 'New' Berlin," German Politics and Society 24, 4 (Winter 2006): 1-48.
- "From Kreuzberg to Marzhan: New Migrant Communities in Berlin," German Politics and Society 24, 4 (Winter 2006): 95-121.
- "From Poverty to Social Exclusion: Lessons from Europe." Pp. 57-70 in Poverty and Race in America: The Emerging Agendas, ed. Chester Hartman. Lexington Books.
- "Winning by Losing -- Germany's Innocent Nationalism." Providence Journal (15 July).
- "Food Stamps." Pp. 487-91 in International Encyclopedia of Social Policy. London: Routledge.
- "Disasters." Encyclopedia of Sociology. Oxford: Blackwell.
- "Social Exclusion." Encyclopedia of Sociology. Oxford: Blackwell.
- "The Social Ecology of Health in New York City," Pp. 139-71 in Community and Ecology: Dynamics of Place, Sustainability, and Politics, edited by Aaron McCright and Terry Nichols. Macmillan/Elsevier.
- "Social Integration in the 'New' Berlin." German Politics & Society (Winter): This is the introduction to a special issue Prof. Silver edited, based on the 2005 DAAD-Wayland Collegium conference that she organized.
- "European Policies to Promote the Social Inclusion of Disadvantaged Groups: Lessons for Latin America." Pp. 135-76 in Social Inclusion: Latin America's Development Challenge, ed. Mayra Buvinic and Jacqueline Mazza. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, Inter-American Development Bank. Also in Spanish and Portuguese.
- "Social Exclusion: The European Approach to Social Disadvantage." (with S.M. Miller) Indicators 2, 2 (Spring): 5-21.