Resources for International Community


Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) - OISSS provides information about a wide range of topics useful to incoming international students and scholars, both before and after their arrival in the United States. 

Applying for a Social Security Number - A U.S. Social Security number (SSN) is a nine-digit number issued to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and temporary workers under section 205(c)(2) of the Social Security Act. 

Tax Obligations for International Students, Scholars and Staff ALL international students, scholars, and staff are required to submit an income tax filing each year by mid-April for the time they are in the U.S. during the previous calendar year. Brown University provides its students and scholars with tax assessment programs (Sprintax Calculus) for those working or earning income at Brown and tax preparation software (Sprintax Returns) for non-resident aliens filing income tax returns.