A Commuter Choice Spending Account lets eligible employees put aside pre-tax payroll dollars to pay for eligible transit and parking costs. This account is not applicable for employees parking in a Brown University lot.
There are two types of Commuter Choice Spending Accounts*:
- Parking: The parking account lets eligible employees put aside up to $270 per month to pay for work-related parking expenses in a non-Brown lot or parking at a location from where they commute to work (e.g. commercial lot).
- Transit: The transit account lets eligible employees put aside up to $200 per month to pay for work-related non-RIPTA mass transit costs (e.g. MBTA).
* The two accounts cannot be used interchangeably.
Regular faculty and staff working greater than 50% time are eligible to participate in a Commuter Choice Spending Account.
Commuter Choice elections can be made through Workday during open enrollment or at the beginning of any month. Employees may change or cancel their election monthly.
- Use the Sentinel Benefits “Benny Card” to pay for parking or transit services.
- Request reimbursement through the Sentinel Benefits web portal.
Please note: Unused balances may be rolled over month to month or year to year.** Funds will be forfeited when employment is terminated.
** Maximum reimbursement amount cannot exceed the IRS limits in any month.