Employee Education Program

Brown University offers the Employee Education Program (EEP) benefit to eligible staff employees to help them meet their educational goals. This benefit provides financial assistance toward courses at Brown and outside of Brown.


Employees* are eligible to use the EEP benefit if they meet all three of the following criteria:

  • Staff working at least 67% time (1300 hours per year)
  • Have completed six months of continuous employment at the time of application
  • Employment status in good standing

* Union members will receive education benefits as described in their respective Collective Bargaining Agreements.  Faculty members, dependents, and spouses are not eligible to receive education benefits under this program.

Program Guidelines

Financial assistance is provided for undergraduate, advanced degree, or job-related courses. Courses may be taken at Brown or outside of Brown, however Brown and non-Brown programs cannot be combined in the same calendar year.

  • Courses are considered job-related if they maintain or enhance the employee’s skills needed in their present position at Brown or if it is a requirement either by law or of Brown.
  • Courses may be taken in a classroom setting, online, or in a hybrid format
  • Courses must be taken at degree granting, accredited institutions belonging to one of six regional accrediting agencies:
Accreditation Agency regional area

Higher Learning Commission

Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Middle States Commission on Higher Education/Mid-Atlantic Region of Commission on Higher Education

Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Washington D.C., U.S. Virgin Islands

New England Association of Schools and Colleges

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities

Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges

Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia

Western Association of Schools and Colleges

California, Hawaii, American territories such as Guam and American Samoa

EEP for Brown University Courses

Employees may take up to three degree or job-related courses per calendar year (January 1-December 31) under the EEP.  

Degree Programs at Brown

  • Employees must apply to the Graduate School and be accepted.
  • Degree candidates must adhere to the guidelines and requirements of the Graduate School for degree programs.
  • Notify the Graduate School and Academic Advisors of any impending interruption in course work.
  • Once registered for course(s), employees must email [email protected], Administrative Coordinator, to request that the Graduate Student Activity and Graduate Recreation Fees be waived, otherwise they will continue to receive a bill and will be responsible for payment
    • Graduate Student Activity Fee: Access to all Graduate Student Council (GSC) social events.
    • Graduate Recreation Fee: Access to the Nelson Fitness Center.

Job-Related Courses at Brown

  • Upon notification of EEP approval from the Benefits Office, registration information will be forwarded prior to the start of the semester with information on the registration process. Those enrolling in job-related courses will be allowed to enroll on a space available basis and will be required to obtain approval from the professor.
  • Courses must fall under Brown's accreditation, as well as offer a grade and/or credit.

Important Dates

  • Wednesday, January 25, 2023  - Classes begin
  • Tuesday, February 7, 2023 - Last day to add a course without a fee (not covered by the EEP)
  • Friday, March 10, 2023 - Last day to change a grade option
  • Saturday, March 11, 2023 - (mid-semester) – Last day to drop a course without an EEP penalty

Taxable Tuition

Brown University is allowed to provide $5,250 in tax-free educational assistance per calendar year. Employees enrolled in graduate degree programs or job-related graduate courses (level 2000 and above) will be taxed on any tuition that exceeds the IRS limit to be in compliance with IRS regulations.

EEP for Courses Outside of Brown

Employees can receive reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year (January 1–December 31) and must be enrolled in a degree or job-related courses(s).

Degree Programs

Job-Related Courses and Certificate Programs

  • Job-related courses and certificate programs must fall under the parent school's accreditation, as well as offer a grade and/or credit.

Application Guidelines

  • Complete an EEP application specific to degree or job-related courses (located on the right of this webpage).
  • Applications should be emailed to [email protected] prior to the start date of the course (two weeks preferred).

Payment for Courses and Grades

Employees must receive a grade of C, satisfactory, or pass. Upon course completion for employees taking courses at Brown, the Registrar's Office will forward a copy of the employee's grade report to the Benefits Office.

  • Brown Courses: No money is exchanged. The EEP sends through a credit to the student's account at the beginning of the semester.
  • Non-Brown Courses: Participants must pay the school that they are attending up front and then submit for reimbursement once the course has been successfully completed.  Participants must submit a grade report and itemized paid invoice to [email protected]. Tuition reimbursements will be direct deposited on the next available pay period, or if you do not have direct deposit, a check will be issued for the reimbursable amount.

The following expenses are not eligible for reimbursement under this program:

  • Conferences, workshops and seminars
  • Membership, licensing and exam fees
  • Travel, lodging, meals, and parking expenses
  • Supplies and other miscellaneous fees

EEP Penalties

During the semester in which an employee is approved for a course/courses through the Employee Education Program and they voluntarily terminate from the University, or receive a grade below a C, or fail the course(s), or drop the course(s) after the drop deadline date, they will be responsible for the following:

For Brown courses: The full cost of tuition for the course(s) must be reimbursed back to the University.
For non-Brown courses: Employees will not be reimbursed for their tuition costs.


Email [email protected] with questions.