Brown University pays the full cost of basic life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance for eligible employees, who are automatically enrolled through Lincoln Financial Group. Active employees regularly scheduled to work 1300 hours per year on the regular payroll are eligible for group life insurance coverage. Eligible employees may also purchase optional group term life insurance coverage.
Basic Life Insurance
Brown University provides up to $50,000 of basic life insurance, depending on employee group, base salary, and date of hire.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
AD&D Insurance pays you or your beneficiaries a set amount of money if your death or dismemberment is the direct result of an accident.
Optional Coverage: Voluntary Life Insurance*
Additional Group Term Life Insurance
- Eligible employees may also purchase optional group term life insurance coverage in amounts ranging from one to six times the employee base salary, provided that the combined basic and optional coverage amount does not exceed $1,000,000.
- Employees pay the full cost of optional coverage based on the amount of coverage elected and current age.
Dependent Coverage: Spousal and Child Life Insurance
- Employees that elected and have been approved, if applicable, for optional life insurance coverage are eligible to elect optional coverage for a spouse.
- Employees may purchase up to $50,000 of voluntary group term life insurance in increments of $10,000 for a spouse. The amount paid for the coverage is based on the employee’s current age.
- Employees that elected and have been approved, if applicable, for optional life insurance coverage are also eligible to elect optional coverage for dependent children. Employees may purchase $4,000 of voluntary group term life insurance for each eligible child.
* In some instances, employees may have to complete an Evidence of Insurability Form for the carrier and be approved for coverage. For rates, view section 5 of the Decision Guide.
Information for Employees Leaving Brown: Conversion and Portability Options
- For employees that separate from service at Brown, the optional life insurance coverage will be fully portable provided the coverage has been in place for 12 months prior to the separation from service.
- Employees will also have the option of converting employee basic, optional life, and dependent life insurance amounts that were in place at the time of retirement or termination to an individual life policy.
- The amounts available for conversion are equal to the amount(s) of group life benefits that ended.
Contact the Benefits Office at [email protected] for more information.