ENGN 2911T: Ultrafast Optics (fall 2023)
This is a graduate course on ultrafast phenomena and ultrafast lasers. When you complete this course, you will understand how a femtosecond laser works and why you'd want to use one. This class will have required attendance at all lectures, unless arrangements are made in advance with a valid excuse.
- Lecture location: BH 194 (note new location!)
- Lecture time: TuTh 2:30 - 3:50
- Office hours: Thursdays 1:00 - 2:30 (usually)
- Please note the new lecture time slot and location.
- Due to travel conflicts, the first lecture will be TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 26. There will be NO LECTURES on September 7, 12, 14, 19, or 21.
- However, THERE IS A HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT, which is now posted at this link. This is due at the first in-person lecture meeting on Sept. 26th. The expectation is that all of the material covered by this problem set is review. You might need to brush up on some things, but you should have seen all this material before.
- In case the links in the homework #1 PDF file are not working: the link for problem one is this one: https://www.holoor.co.il/optical-calculator/diffraction-limited-spot-size/ and the link for problem 2 is this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy%27s_equation
- As part of this first assignment, you also MUST watch this one-hour introductory lecture. Probably it would be wise to watch the video before doing the problems.
- Student presentations: these take place during the last few lectures of the semester. More info is contained in problem set 1.
Some important course information:
- the course syllabus for Fall 2023 (updated 05/19/2023)
- A primer on how to clean optics. Required reading for any experimentalist in an optics lab.
PDF files of lectures (this calendar is now up to date):
|Lecture 1 (zoom recording)||Lecture 2 (Sep 26)||Lecture 3 (Sep 28)|
|Lecture 4 (Oct 3)||Lecture 5 (Oct 5)||Lecture 6 (Oct 10)|
|Lecture 7 (Oct 12)||Lecture 8 (Oct 17)||Lecture 9 (Oct 19)|
|Lecture 10 (Oct 24)||Lecture 11 (Oct 26)||Lecture 12 (Oct 31)
|Lecture 13 (Nov 2)||Lecture 14 (Nov 7)||Lecture 15 (Nov 9)|
|No Lecture (Nov 14)||Lecture 16 (Nov 16)||Lecture 17 (Nov 21)|
|Lecture 18 (Nov 28)||Lecture 19 (Nov 30)
||Lecture 20 (Dec 5)
|Student Lectures (Dec 7)
||Student Lectures (Dec 12)|
will be listed here