During this semester-long seminar, participants are guided through an integrated course design process to develop a syllabus, signature assignments, and teaching strategies for a semester-long course. For Spring 2021, the course design seminar combines significant asynchronous online work with five synchronous sessions. As participants move through the five modules of the seminar, they engage with colleagues from a variety of disciplines workshopping their course plans with one another. Registration is open to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who have completed the Sheridan Teaching Seminar (Certificate I). Priority is given to advanced students nearing completion of their degrees. We also select participants to ensure disciplinary diversity.
This online seminar entails significant work in small interdisciplinary groups over the course of each week, culminating in synchronous sessions. All participants are expected to be active participants in the online work for each module: discussion posts, responses to peers, timely assignment submission, and peer review of others submissions. Participants are expected to participate in at least four of five synchronous sessions. If you are unable to commit to attending at least four of the five synchronous sessions, please see the Sheridan Center website for our flexible workshop options, or to request an individual teaching observation or course consultation.
Seminar topics include:
- The Integrated Course Design Process
- Articulating and Assessing Learning Outcomes
- Course Design Across the Higher Education Landscape
- Principles to Enhance Student Motivation and Learning
- Writing Assignment Design and Scaffolding
- Applying Universal Design for Learning
- Identifying Appropriate Digital Tools
The Sheridan Course Design Seminar Canvas site opens on Monday, January 25 with synchronous sessions on the following dates:
- Session 1: Wednesday, February 3; 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
- Session 2: Wednesday, February 17; 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
- Session 3: Wednesday, March 3; 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
- Session 4: Wednesday, March 17; 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
- Session 5: Wednesday, March 31; 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
For more information, please see our website. (Registration opens Oct 22 and closes on December 11th; space is limited.)
- In-person attendance and participation in at least four of the seminar's five sessions
- Timely completion of all required assignments
Participants can expect to spend an average of 2-3 hours a week on the seminar over the course of the semester, with workshop weeks taking a bit more time and non-workshop weeks taking a bit less. This includes attending in-person workshops (10 hours, total) and completing out of class readings and assignments.
The Sheridan Teaching Seminar (Certificate I)
Applications for the Spring 2021 Course Design Seminar will be accepted through Friday, December 11th.