The Sheridan Center offers an online, self-paced program to guide participants through the process of writing a teaching statement, writing a diversity statement, and creating a teaching portfolio. Individuals with a Brown affiliation may register for the workshop by completing this form. This workshop culminates with the opportunity for graduate students and postdocs to receive peer feedback on a draft teaching statement, portfolio, and/or diversity statement.
After completing this online program, participants will be able to:
- Identify the characteristics of an effective teaching statement, teaching portfolio, and diversity statement
- Describe how these materials may be used and evaluated on the job market
- Select and annotate teaching materials to include in a teaching portfolio
- Brainstorm and write a teaching statement and diversity statement
- Solicit feedback and revise their draft
This program is composed of four online sections:
Module 1: Writing a Teaching Statement
Module 2: Assembling a Teaching Portfolio
Module 3: Creating a Diversity Statement
Module 4: Wrap-Up
These sections are designed to be worked through sequentially. Each section consists of readings and activities designed to help participants complete a draft of their teaching statement, portfolio, or diversity statement.
Synchronous Review Sessions
Graduate Student and Postdoc participants who complete the full program are eligible to register to attend one of four optional peer feedback sessions offered this semester via Zoom:
- February 21st from 9:00-10:00 AM
- March 11th from 1:00-2:00 PM
- April 9th from 3:30-4:30 PM
- April 25th from 1:00-2:00 PM
To gain access to the peer-feedback sessions, complete all sections and fill out the registration form that appears in the “Wrapping Up” section. Once you have registered, you will receive confirmation from Sheridan Center staff. Please note that space is limited in these sessions -- we will do our best to accommodate everyone on a first-come, first-served basis.
Enrollment in this online program is offered on a rolling basis and participants may join at any time. Register here to participate.