Head Teaching Consultants (Head TCs) work closely with Sheridan Staff and the Teaching Consultant program to facilitate Sheridan Teaching Seminar workshops, co-organize the TC invited-speaker series, and support the pedagogical development of graduate students at Brown. We welcome applications from former TCs of all backgrounds who want to collaborate with us on inclusive, evidence-based teaching and professional development. In the 2023-2024 school year, Head TCs will receive a $850 award per semester.
Applications can be accessed here and are due by June 1, 2023.
Head TCs work closely with Sheridan staff to:
- Serve as a Sheridan Teaching Seminar workshop facilitator and/or as a “floater” who fills in where needed
- Facilitate Sheridan Teaching Seminar make-up workshops
- Attend Teaching Consultant workshops and facilitate make-up workshops
- Co-organize the TC Invited Speaker Program
- Support the Sheridan Center by performing Teaching Observations and attending and participating in events, such as resource fairs, orientations, Sheridan workshops, and New Graduate TA Orientation
- Support the development of resources for New Graduate TA Orientation as needed
- Serve as a peer leader and source of information about the Sheridan Center
- Organize community-building events for TCs
- Perform other tasks as needed in consultation with Sheridan Center staff
In the fall semester, we anticipate that Head TCs will spend about 60 hours total spread throughout the semester, particularly around the facilitation of the Sheridan Teaching Seminar – see specific dates and times on the application. The Sheridan Teaching Seminar (Formerly Cert I) is being redesigned this summer, so please note that you will need to spend time this fall going through new materials.
In the spring semester, we anticipate that Head TCs will spend about 20 hours total spread throughout the semester on their duties. The award is the same in each semester.
Applicants must have completed the Sheridan Teaching Seminar (Certificate I), the Teaching Consultant Certificate, and be available for the important dates listed on the application.
Please email completed applications to [email protected]. To receive full consideration, applications must be received no later than June 1, 2023. Finalists will be invited to interview via Zoom in mid-June.
Questions regarding the position or application may be directed to Sara Misgen ([email protected]), Assistant Director for Interdisciplinary Teaching Communities, or Logan Gin ([email protected]), Assistant Director for STEM.