Writing Fellows Applications will open in UFUNDS on March 1, 2019 and close on March 31, 2019.
Every year, Writing Fellows are chosen from applicants in the current first-year, sophomore, and junior cohorts. These students are professionally developed to provide one-on-one writing support as peer tutors in courses across the curriculum. Writing Fellows respond to first drafts of papers and then meet with writers in face-to-face conferences to discuss their plans for revision. Fellow typically work with 6-10 writers per semester. All new Fellows enroll in English 1190M during their first semester as Fellows (The Theory and Practice of Writing) and receive an $800 stipend per semester for their work.
Why become a Writing Fellow?
- You love to write yourself and want to continue growing and developing as a writer.
- You enjoy reading others’ writing and you’re excited about the opportunity to talk about and work with other writers on their writing.
- You're committed to anti-racist praxis.
- You’re interested in pursuing leadership roles within the program by becoming a Student Assistant Director or Diversity Outreach Coordinator.
- You want to be a member of one of the oldest writing fellows programs in the country.
- You're invested in our community values.
Community Values, Writing Fellows Living List
A living list is a set of community guidelines, outlining our expectations for each other and putting into concrete words our collective values as peer mentors and guides. These are considerations we will hold ourselves accountable for in our interactions and communications. As it is living, this is an always in-process list.
- Listen to receive and do not respond.
- #Leanonme, we are resources for one another.
- Recognize forms of labor.
- Trust, ask. We all still have things to learn.
- Be generous (listeners, humans).
- Asking questions is important :).
- Throw sunshine, not shade.
- Hold people accountable respectfully.
- Be conscientious of communication.
- Respect & lean on writers' vulnerability.
- February 22 from 11:00-12:00pm Information session with current Writing Fellows in room 520 in the Writing Center (Sciences Library at 201 Thayer Street)
- February 27 from 7:00-8:00pm Information session with current Writing Fellows in room 520 in the Writing Center (Sciences Library at 201 Thayer Street)
- March 1 at 12:00pm Writing Fellows application opens in UFUNDS
- March 15 from 12:00-1:00pm Application workshop with current Writing Fellows in room 520 in the Writing Center (Sciences Library at 201 Thayer Street)
- March 21 from 6:00-7:00pm Application workshop with current Writing Fellows in room 520 in the Writing Center (Sciences Library at 201 Thayer Street)
- March 31 at 11:59pm Writing Fellows application closes in UFUNDS
- April 20-21 Applicants interview with current Writing Fellows
- April 30 by 11:59pm Decision emails sent
- May 7 from 6:00-7:30pm Writing Fellows Induction Ceremony and Senior Send Off