Teaching Essentials for Graduate TAs
In this fully online, asynchronous, self-paced program, Graduate Teaching Assistants aim to improve their students' learning and their own experiences as teachers through a reflective exploration of their own practices and beliefs about teaching. While the program is designed for graduate TAs who are new to their roles, experienced graduate student TAs and graduate instructors may also find it useful as a continuing professional development opportunity.
Participants in the Teaching Essentials program will:
- Reflect on their teaching and learning-related values
- Learn about inclusive teaching strategies
- Set goals for their teaching and learn how to assess their progress
- Prepare to teach and plan for the first days of class
- Prepare to TA in different learning contexts, including online environments
- Learn how to provide equitable feedback and grades to students
- Identify available resources to support their teaching and their students' learning
If completing the program in full, participants can expect to spend 4-6 hours on the course. As the program is self-directed and asynchronous, participants may choose to complete this online course over multiple days or weeks at any point during the year. There are no in-person or synchronous Zoom components. This year’s program will open in mid-August, 2021. Enrollment is on a rolling basis.