Important: Before requesting an appointment, please be sure to read the following information.
This page was updated on September 22, 2021.
Beginning September 27, 2021 the Writing Center will be offering both in-person and virtual appointments. Our hours will be as follows:
Sundays: 8am-11am ET (virtual only) and 2pm-5pm ET (virtual only)
Mondays-Thursdays: 8am-11am ET (virtual only), 2pm-4pm ET (in-person only), 4pm-5pm ET (in-person and virtual), and 5pm-7pm ET (virtual only).
Because we are operating 4pm appointments Monday-Thursday both in-person and virtually, if you request an appointment during this time please indicate in your request whether you would like to meet in-person and virtually.
In-person appointments will be held on the 5th floor of the Sciences Library (201 Thayer St.).
When requesting a virtual appointment, please include your Zoom personal meeting ID or personal link. When your appointment is confirmed, you will receive an email with additional information on how to log on to your appointment.
Once you request an appointment, you will receive an email containing their appointment time or, if no openings are available, receive a waitlist notification. Waitlisted students are notified when a space becomes available. After each writing conference, we will email you a confidential evaluation form. Your honest feedback is important, so please take a minute or two to let us know how we are doing.
More information on writing appointments
Our policies are designed to help us best serve Brown's community of writers.
- Students may consult on one paper or project per visit; multiple writing assignments are not allowed. Please bring a printed copy of your work with you.
- Writing appointments start on the hour and last 50 or 55 minutes.
- Students may not have more than one appointment in a day.
- In any given week, you may schedule two separate 1-hour appointments.
- We do not work on take-home exams unless you provide written permission from your course instructor.
- Please cancel at least 24-hours in advance; this way we can give your appointment to someone else.
- If you no-show or repeatedly miss appointments without calling in advance, you will not be allowed to visit the Writing Center again during the semester without approval from the Program Manager.
- If you are more than ten minutes late and do not contact us, your appointment time may be given to another student.
Questions? Email [email protected]