The Writing Center is open Sunday - Thursday 1 pm - 7 pm. Appointments are scheduled on the hour and should be requested at least five days in advance. During midterm and final exam periods, please give at least seven days notice. Writing Conferences take place in the Sciences Library, floor 5. Map to the Writing Center.
Bring your paper, rough draft, outline, notes, or brainstorming ideas to your appointment. Papers should be double-spaced and can be printed at the Writing Center. If English is not your first language, or if you need help with an assignment written in a language other than English, please note this in the focus section of the appointment request form.
Request a Writing Appointment
Once you request an appointment, you will receive an email containing their appointment time or, if no openings are available, receive a waitlist notification. Waitlisted students are notified when a space becomes available. After each writing conference, we will email you a confidential evaluation form. Your honest feedback is important, so please take a minute or two to let us know how we are doing.
Our policies are designed to help us best serve Brown's community of writers.
- Students may consult on one paper or project per visit; multiple writing assignments are not allowed. Please bring a printed copy of your work with you.
- Writing appointments start on the hour and last 50 or 55 minutes.
- Students may not have more than one appointment in a day.
- In any given week, you may schedule two separate 1-hour appointments.
- We do not work on take-home exams unless you provide written permission from your course instructor.
- Please cancel at least 24-hours in advance; this way we can give your appointment to someone else.
- If you no-show or repeatedly miss appointments without calling in advance, you will not be allowed to visit the Writing Center again during the semester without approval from the Program Manager.
- If you are more than ten minutes late and do not contact us, your appointment time may be given to another student.
Questions? Email [email protected]